FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 2, 2018
CONTACT: Charles O. Swanton, Deputy Commissioner, Alaska Pacific Salmon Treaty Commissioner 907-465-4115
ADF&G to Host Chinook Salmon Symposium
May 2, 2018 - The Alaska Department of Fish and Game (ADF&G) invites the public to attend a Chinook Salmon Symposium, Monday, May 21, 5:00-8:00pm, at Harrigan Centennial Hall in Sitka, Alaska. Attend this free symposium and learn about the status of Southeast Alaska Chinook salmon, research and management, the Pacific Salmon Treaty, and participation in the public process.
Hosted by the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, this event features:
- Chinook salmon research– what we know about how local stocks are performing, as well as Pacific Northwest Chinook salmon stocks coastwide.
- A look at the last 10 years of Chinook salmon management for the commercial and sport fisheries - annual allocations, actual harvest, and performance relative to the Pacific Salmon Treaty.
- Conservative actions – management measures in response to poor Chinook salmon production.
- Treaty transparency – a summary of the treaty past, present, and future.
- Public process and participation – an overview of the public regulatory process and how to get involved.
- Public question and answer session.
ADF&G encourages those interested in Chinook salmon issues to join this evening of informative presentations by our fisheries research and management team.